Friday, September 30, 2016

My September 2016 Running Report

In September I continued to step up my level of running, covering 130 miles for the entire month with the longest run being for 5.4 miles.  I also ran on every day, although in the grand scheme of things taking a day off every now and then might have been more advisable.  I have also been running outside in the heat of the early afternoon a lot, and I believe this has helped toughen me up for the upcoming long distance racing season that's set to unofficially begin here in Florida next month.  There were some opportunities for me to enter local 5K (3.1-mile) races, but I passed them all up, seeing how I get off from work at midnight on Fridays and the races were all scheduled early Saturday morning.  As a matter of fact, it seems to be the pattern for 5K races to hold them at that time.  Fortunately, when it comes to half-marathons, quite a few of them occur on Sunday mornings...which gives me the advantage of having more rest beforehand.  The most likely prospects for half-marathons in the near future are on October 30th in Port Orange and on November 13th in St. Augustine.  Let's see if I'm in good enough shape to enter and finish one, or maybe even both...

One thing that's impeded my running progress is my difficulty losing weight, in spite of all the training I do...while also expending a lot of energy at my physically-demanding job.  I haven't always been careful with my food choices, but still I don't think I'm overeating, either...my metabolism must be slowing down.  Well, maybe if I start running for longer distances...as I plan to do from time to time during the next few weeks....some of the pounds may start to come off.  I'm also enthusiastically looking forward to the seasonal change to cooler autumn days...somebody let me know when that's gonna happen!