After going through the late, great David Bowie's career collection of studio albums...and thoroughly enjoying it...I have decided to take on an act that I have long respected and liked...the alternative rock band R.E.M., based in my birth-state of Georgia. R.E.M., which broke up in 2011 in the most amicable fashion imaginable, was composed of front man Michael Stipe, lead guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills, and drummer (until 1997) Bill Berry. I've liked them since early 1984 after watching the video to their haunting song South Central Rain (I'm Sorry), but really began to seriously follow them with the 1989 release of their album Green, the first of a long string of masterpiece LPs, in my humble opinion. They dipped a bit in quality after Berry left the group due to medical problems and they began to use drum machines, programs and computers more to record their music...probably the low point was their 2004 album Around the Sun. But they got back on track and recorded two more good albums...and then called it quits while on top...
Eight years ago, on this blog, I listed my twelve favorite R.E.M. songs. Here is the link to that August 21, 2008 article [link]. This time around, I plan to listen to all of their studio albums and make a more comprehensive list, updating my favorites as well. Should be another labor of love...