Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Dark Tower Movie to Come Out Next Year

I recently came across a copy of Entertainment Weekly magazine that had a cover feature about a movie in the making: the long-awaited adaption to Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, which he strung out over a twenty-two-year span through seven books (later adding a another one).  The movie, being filmed in South Africa, stars  Idris Elba as series protagonist Roland Deschain, the Gunslinger, and Matthew McConaughey as the elusive and evil Walter Padick, a.k.a. the Man in Black.  Nickolaj Arcel, whose name rings absolutely no bells in my memory, is directing and writing it.  I'd like to see it when it comes out, but I think I first had better brush up on my Dark Tower recollections...it's been several years since I read the series.  Yes, here is another reading project for me to do...but rereading The Dark Tower is going to be quite, quite enjoyable.  And, besides, I already have all of the books...as well as related Stephen King books and short stories that either directly involve Roland and his adventures or are, throughout the series, incorporated into it retroactively (like Hearts in Atlantis, It, Jerusalem's Lot, Pet Sematary, and Insomnia).  If that last part confuses you, you'll know what I'm talking about once you've read this intriguing series for yourself.  As for the upcoming movie, I'll probably end up waiting until it's out on DVD or pay-for-view on TV...