Russian-American pianist/singer/songwriter Regina Spektor, one of my all-time favorite recording artists, will be issuing her seventh studio album on September 30. It is titled Remember Us to Life. Her last album, What We Saw From the Cheap Seats, came out in 2012 and is responsible for my favorite song from that year, the unforgettable Firewood. I can hardly wait for this new album, as anything new this extraordinary talent comes out with is almost certain to contain some real jewels...
When I first became aware of Regina Spektor in 2010, it was on one of those free music websites that played songs according to the listener's preferred genre...I believe she was in the "Indie" category on it. I then determined to collect her first five albums, all issued by that time. The song Us, from her third album Soviet Kitsch, became my favorite song of 2010. All that summer, whenever I went running long-distance through my neighborhood and points beyond, I would listen to a shuffled mix of her songs from those albums on my MP3 player during my training. So in time, whenever I subsequently would hear one of those earlier songs, I would associate it with running...funny how that memory association thing works with music...
I think that Regina Spektor's music is much better than all these popular artists like Beyonce and Taylor Swift who keep winning the Grammys year after year. But for some reason radio stations won't promote and play her music which, in my opinion, is far superior to what they provide in its place...