Sunday, July 31, 2016

My July 2016 Running Report

This past month saw me focusing my running more heavily on the outdoors...even in the noontime heat of mid-summer.  Although my total running mileage went down to 114 miles in July, I felt that it was of a higher quality and will serve me greater in my training for races in months to come.  My longest single run was 3.4 miles...actually, I performed several runs of 3.3-3.4 miles.  And I ran on all but two days of the month...

On the morning of July 4th, I braved the combined 80 degrees and 89% humidity...a formula for heat stress if I ever knew it...and "raced" in the three-mile Melon Run, held here in Gainesville at Westside Park.  It was my difficulty with this race, which I managed to complete with a slower-than-normal pace, that convinced me to start braving the outdoor elements more than I had been doing.  As far as August is concerned, I plan to continue with my running as I did in July, perhaps slightly increasing my distances as my endurance gets better.  No races are planned for August, though.  That doesn't mean that on some day I might not pick up my Independent Florida Alligator (the University of Florida's "free" newspaper) and read about some fundraiser 5K being staged on a coming weekend.  Should that happen, I'm game to jump right on in and run it.  Otherwise, I'll just keep training on my own and wait for the autumn races...