Sunday, July 17, 2016

Mexican Premier League Soccer Back in Full Swing

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to discover, while channel surfing my television, that Mexican premier league soccer has resumed, with its 2016 Apertura summer/fall season opening this weekend.  So far, I've been able to see matches between Monterrey and Puebla, Jaguares de Chiapas and Club America, and Pumas de UNAM and Guadalajara.  The curious thing about all of these games is that I haven't taken sides in them, instead taking in the flow of the games and the teams' strategies and skill levels in them...along with the officials and their propensity to blow the whistle and call fouls (and some players' propensities to fake them).  I also enjoy the exuberant Spanish-language commentary in the background on Univision (Gainesville Cox Cable's Channel 40), much more so then the tepid announcers on English-language soccer television...especially those showing our own Major League Soccer here in the USA and Canada.  I love it when a goal is scored and an announcer yells "G-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-L!!!" or when the first half or game is over: "LA PELOTA NO RUEDA MAS!!!" (the ball no longer rolls)...or when a penalty kick is called: "PENAL! PENAL! PENAL!".  I wish we had that kind of excitement with American sports...the old Monday Night Football of the 1970s with Howard Cosell and Don Meredith is the only example I can recall even remotely approaching this level of enthusiasm in live play-by-play TV sports broadcasting ...

Now that I have my Mexican Liga MX soccer back again, it's only about a month more to wait until the 2016-17 English (Barclay's) Premier League season begins.  Defending champion Leicester City is once again considered to be a longshot to win the title...although I doubt that the odds-makers are putting up 5000-1 odds against them this time around as they did a year ago.  Right now, the so-called "experts" seem to feel that Manchester United and Manchester City will vie for this coming season's title...we'll see.  I'm also curious to see whether Fox Sports will continue to show Germany's premier Bundesliga this coming season, as they did last year.  I very much appreciate the high level of play in both the English and German leagues...I only wish I could also get the Spanish premier league, called "La Liga", as well...and see Ronaldo and Messi play more often.  On the other hand, there's only just so much soccer I can watch anyway...