Now that Senator Ted Cruz has dropped out of the race for the Republican presidential nomination following his big loss yesterday in the Indiana Primary, Donald Trump has little opposition left on his way to a delegate majority at the Cleveland convention this summer. As for the Democrats, Hillary Clinton looks to achieve a majority of delegates in a few weeks...this despite Bernie Sanders claiming there will be a contested convention. I don't blame him...I believe that the Vermont Senator, who still works in his Senate office under no party affiliation while at the same time running for the Democratic Party presidential nomination, can't really at this late point be harboring delusions that he can mount a miraculous comeback at the end of the primary season. Instead, I think, as do many others, that Sanders wants as many delegates as he can get into the Democratic Convention in order to influence the party's platform. But he has to stay in the race with claims of possible victory in order to win some of the final state primaries. Sounds good to me, although at some point Sanders will need to work to bring the party together. A Clinton/Sanders ticket makes sense to me...
As far as Donald Trump is concerned, I believe he would be a disaster as president...especially regarding his foreign policy stances (let Russia run rampant in Syria...be neutral between Israel and Palestine...let countries like South Korea and Japan develop their own nuclear weapons...threaten to leave NATO...never give assurance that the U.S. would refrain from dropping a nuclear bomb, etc.). I despise his entire approach to the campaign, which is basically standing behind a podium with a microphone and cameras and then making a chain of off-the-cuff remarks full of vague promises and nasty personal insults when he isn't tweeting tasteless comments against his opponents. But I don't despise Trump himself: he is simply doing what the polls and primary results say works for him. Instead, I cringe at the masses of American voters who have taken to his message and methodology...and wonder (and fear) whether there will be enough of them in November to actually reward this person for his campaign shenanigans by electing him to the highest office in the land for the next four years. I've stated before that I'm not a fan of Hillary Clinton (I would have preferred ol' Joe Biden), but in this election she's the only rational choice...