Having discovered that neither Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, nor Bernie Sanders seem to care at all about our space program, I am wondering whether or not the eventual winner of this November's presidential election will continue our current president's vision for its future...especially with regard to manned space travel to Mars. After all, not long after he himself took office, Barack Obama went back on his campaign promise to Floridians that he would continue his predecessor's ambitious program to establish a moon base. It seems that NASA is a political football, kicked around from one administration to the next with each president either ignoring it or drastically changing its goals. That is because NASA is a federal agency under the direct authority of the president. Congress only has the power to fund or defund it and cannot directly set its agenda...
Maybe one of these candidates will surprise us and show some proactive interest in our space program...although Sanders seems downright hostile to space exploration. Regardless, I plan to research NASA's website and watch the NASA channel on TV in order to keep up with its ongoing missions and future plans. With this in mind, I also plan to write about these missions. One of the more immediate with be the Juno probe to Jupiter, while should arrive at that planet in July. More on Juno in an upcoming article. I will also be looking the history of our space program as well as what is going on with those in Europe, Russia, China, and Japan. Should be enlightening...