Tuesday, April 5, 2016
Rereading Lev Grossman's Magician Trilogy
When I discovered a few weeks ago that the television adaptation of Lev Grossman's Magician trilogy would be airing on the Syfy Channel (Cox Gainesville channel 51), I was very interested in seeing, not only how the book's characters and imagery would appear on the screen, but also how faithful the story was to Grossman's writing. After watching the first three episodes, I couldn't bear it any longer and abandoned the TV series: it diverged so much from the books that I eventually couldn't recognize my all-time favorite written fantasy series. Along with my rejection of the television version of Magicians, I decided to read, for the third time, this excellent series. And after just getting through the first book, simply titled The Magicians, my suspicions about the Syfy Channel production were completely confirmed. If you're watching it and liking it, then that's great...but don't walk away from your boob tube experience thinking that it is the same as the original books...it isn't...