Every six months, in April and October, I (and, lately, my son) have been going to the Alachua County Friends of the Library book and media sale here in Gainesville, on the 400 block (west side) of North Main Street. Tomorrow at 9 am, the doors will once again open and the book hoarders will rush in with their empty boxes, furnishing quite a sight inside this warehouse of used books, records, DVDs, CDs, and puzzles. Being something of a jigsaw puzzle enthusiast from early childhood, I'm planning to pick up at least a couple of inexpensive puzzles...with the understanding that, being already used by someone else, there's a reasonable chance of there being some missing pieces in them. As for browsing the enormous collection of books, it is nearly impossible to make one's way through the thick crowd of jostling customers in order to systematically search the tables...the books are separated by genre, but beyond that are displayed in no particular order. Still, I usually come out of the distasteful experience (I think I'm allergic to crowds) with at least two or three cheap books...although I have yet to read some of the ones I've bought from past sales...
I'll have to ask Will if he wants to go to the sale again. I dislike getting there when it opens at 9 because there is an extremely long line of prospective customers that goes down Main Street and hooks around the next avenue. No, if I go tomorrow (and the sale lasts through Wednesday) I'll wait at least until 10 before performing this semiannual ritual...