Wednesday, February 3, 2016
UF #9 on Nat'l Signing Day
No, I don't remember the name of the organization ranking the schools signing star high school recruits today in college football...but I saw it on one of the mainstream sports cable channels and it looks as if Jim McElwain, Florida's head coach, has done a pretty good job in competition against his rivals for the top talent: Florida was given #9 ranking in terms of their signings. In contrast, their former coach, Will Muschamp, recently hired at South Carolina, seemed quite content with his school's #29 ranking on Signing Day...making me wonder whether that might not also have been the result for Florida had he remained with them. Of course, although it's important to have talent at the outset on your team, it's also crucial to have the knowledge and means to develop the skills these entering college players as they take their level of play to a higher level. One thing I noticed about the rankings, though, is that they don't reveal how successful a particular program was in filling positions that they are deficient in. For the Gators, they desperately need talent on the offensive line. And a decent placekicker wouldn't hurt, either. Maybe that Crawfordville, Florida signee Feleipe Franks...also the nation's #5 ranked high school quarterback as well as a very competent kicker...can fill the bill here. I know one thing: Florida fans won't have very much patience this upcoming season if they see the same kind of stagnant offense they saw for the last half of 2015. Coach McElwain be warned...