Thursday, February 11, 2016

Eighth Harry Potter Book Coming Out July 31

I was watching MSNBC just now and was surprised to see, scrolling at the bottom of the screen, the news that J.K. Rowling would be releasing a new Harry Potter book, the eighth in the series, on July 31 this year.  After investigating this online, I discovered that the new installment, titled Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, will be in two parts and is to pick up where the last book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, ended...nineteen years later with his youngest child, Albus Severus, entering Hogwarts Academy for the first time.  The original story for this new book was written for a play that will open in London on July 30, the day before the book's release.  And why July 31? Why, it's Harry's birthday, of course! 

Now I'm going to have to go to my local Books-a-Million to see if they're planning to have another big Harry Potter party on the eve of its publication.  But since Kindles and their like will probably take up much of the sales of this new Potter book, I don't know if its hardbound release will have as much public celebratory fanfare.  We'll see...