Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Transferring My Study of Foreign Languages to Computer

A few days ago, I wrote that I had added Cyrillic (Russian) script to my computer.  Now I've added a few more languages to it, including Chinese (I use the traditional characters).  What I'm trying to do here is continue my foreign language study, but take it from books, paper and pencil to screen and keyboard.  My resources are almost boundless on the Internet, and with the scripts now available I can begin to realistically compose my own sentences (and eventually articles) in the languages I am learning...

I am continuing with my Duolingo study of Russian (mostly a review) and have begun studying Turkish, just to get a feel about how this application teaches new concepts.  It reminds me a little of the programmed method of instruction that I experienced back in high school when I studied trigonometry.  I like learning that way...

Melissa will soon be starting her course in Biblical Greek, and I'm going to study it with her.  I will definitely be putting that script on my computer, too.  Also, besides Duolingo, Quizlet provides a great way to study lists of items and test myself on them.  And the Google (or Bing) translator option is going to be a big help, too...

用計算機學別的語言很有意思!