I was looking forward to participating in this Sunday's Ocala Half-Marathon race, but for the past several days weather forecasts have had the entire area under rain for that morning. Seeing that I don't even go out and run on my own neighborhood streets where it's wet outside, I sure don't see myself running 13.1 miles on unfamiliar, slick, and sloping roads while constantly feeling like I just climbed out of a swimming pool. I guess, in that sense, that might seem in some people's minds like I'm not as committed to the sport as I should be...well let them think what they want. I have to make my own decisions for myself, and part of that is setting up boundaries that I deem are in my own best interests...
Today was supposed to be another day full of rain, according to the meteorological prognosticators, but after some early morning showers the sun came out and it is now expected to be rain-free the rest of the way. So I ask myself, why should I automatically presume that Sunday morning will be rainy when they couldn't even get today...which is considerably closer in time...right?
I plan to get up early Sunday morning and check to see what the weather is like then. If it appears promising, then I'm going to Ocala. If not, I'll stay home and plan to run two weeks from now in a Gainesville 15K (9.3 mile) race. Fortunately, I didn't preregister for the Ocala race and therefore won't be out any amount of money if I do decide to skip it...