Wednesday, January 27, 2016
Plan to Run Newnan's Lake 15K Race This Saturday
Last year I ran eastern Gainesville's Newnan's Lake 15K (9.3 miles) race on a chilly morning. It looks as if it will be chilly again this year at race time, with temperatures predicted to dip into the thirties. And, again, I'm looking forward to running in it. I had been planning to run in the Ocala Half-Marathon a couple of weeks ago, but the winter storm swept through the area that morning with its rain and especially high winds...I'll leave that one to run next year. So now my last chance to run a race in January comes this weekend...and this local event seems to be the logical choice. For one, it's very cheap to enter ($20 without a tee-shirt) and for another, I'm already familiar with the course, more or less. I plan to take it slowly this time around and am aiming to simply complete it as a "social" training run. Although the start of the race (and before) will be bothersome with the cold conditions, once I've run a little distance the chill in the air should begin to work heavily in my favor. Not that I won't be left behind again in a cloud of dust at the starting line by all of the fanatical Gainesville runners! Should be fun...