Friday, January 8, 2016

Just Finished Reading Sue Grafton's "X" Mystery Novel

As I've repeatedly mentioned on this blog, I am in the process of reading through mystery writer Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone series, with the titles progressively featuring a letter of the alphabet...starting with "A" is for Alibi, "B" is for Burglar, and so on.  I just finished reading her latest, simply titled "X".  It may have been hard for Grafton to come up with a word to accompany this letter, but she managed to make it relevant anyway...a couple of new characters in the novel have the Greek surname Xanakis...

"X" weaves three subplots together...one concerning Kinsey's troublesome new neighbors, one involving a violent, malevolent psychopathic stalker, and one about that aforementioned couple...formerly married but now estranged...with a valuable painting in the ex-husband's possession, surreptitiously sought after by the ex-wife.  Kinsey gets dragged into all the stories, although as a professional private investigator she stands to gain little or nothing with these three "cases"...and may well lose everything.  Although I won't give away the ending, I will hint that one of these stories, not having as yet been satisfactorily resolved by book's end, may well continue into one of the final two volumes in the series...

And I am looking forward to the last two books in this wonderful "alphabet" series by Sue Grafton...only now I'll have to just sit and wait until they come out.  Let me guess: the next one will feature the letter "Y"...