I haven't felt like writing on this blog for the past few days...I think it's due to a number of reasons. For one, I don't have a regular time and place set aside for reflection and writing. I've never written very much at home: sitting out in public has served the function of adding just enough stress for me, a reclusive introvert by nature, to rivet my thoughts to the task at hand...much of my blog writing has come out of this kind of setting. I wonder whether going out after my work shift ends at midnight and sitting in a cafe or coffee shop might provide a venue for writing, but most places have closed by then. There's a Starbucks here in Gainesville on Archer Road that doesn't close until 1 AM, and it's conveniently close enough to my workplace to at least give it a try. Unfortunately, though, in the past I've gone there and it was too packed with customers taking up all of the seating. Maybe after midnight, however, it might lighten up a bit...
Another reason for me not having written recently is that the news I've been hearing of late has been depressing, to say the least. People I know are getting sick and dying around me...and one of them was an apparently healthy young man, a freshman at the University of Florida, who collapsed on the track and died. And then there are the numerous terrorist attacks around the world...all committed by people claiming to be Muslim but whom other Muslims disavow as not acting in the name of Islam...although the perpetrators are clearly making the opposite claim. What can I say about all of this, except that people need to get their heads on straight and begin to see things for what they really are...
And possibly the greatest reason for my recent absence from the blogosphere is that I feel a sense of disconnect between my writings and those reading them. I like the open, public access nature of this blog, but at the same time often feel that I could accomplish the same thing for myself by just writing everything and saving it all to a file without ever posting. In a world and time when so many of us are despairing of a lack of privacy, I wonder whether an opposite kind of despair is also rising: the creeping feeling of our own transitory lives and that what most of us have to say carries little value to others, many of whom openly express interest in our lives and welfare but are disinterested in taking even just a couple of minutes to discover our own opinions and feelings...