Sunday, November 22, 2015

JFK Assassinated 52 Years Ago This Date

On this date 52 years ago, our 35th President, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, was assassinated while on an early Friday afternoon motorcade down the streets of downtown Dallas, Texas as crowds of well-wishers welcomed and cheered him and his beautiful wife Jackie.  The event forever changed the politics and history of this country...and condemned to death more than 58,000 Americans in the ensuing Vietnamese "police action"...many of them draftees forced by the government to serve in the succeeding Commander-in-Chief Lyndon Johnson's war...a war that he knew in advance he couldn't win, as his own recorded words attest...Nixon then dragged it out four more years after he was elected.  As ill-advised as I believe George W. Bush's 2003 invasion and subsequent occupation of Iraq was, it pales in terms of the callousness and dishonesty of Johnson's actions.  This hindsight alone is enough to make me grieve Kennedy's death, but back then in November, 1963 people in general just knew that they had lost a good man and a leader whom they respected, admired, and liked.  I myself at the time didn't even know that: I had just turned seven and was in the second grade...

On that fateful day in 1963, I was a student at West Hollywood, Florida's Boulevard Heights Elementary School, in Miss Etling's second grade class, which included future Nova High classmates James Azar and Clint Morris.  In subsequent days, we would all have to go sit in the back of the cafeteria/auditorium while she would, as the director, rehearse the school's upcoming Christmas program ad nauseam.  But this day, we had just eaten our lunch there and returned to our room when a kid from a classroom across the hall came over to tell our teacher the horrible news:  President Kennedy had just been shot.  No one knew at that point if he was still alive, and a debate started floating among us as to whether he had been shot in the back or the eye.  It wasn't until after school, when I got home, that I received the full news of his death: my mother had the TV tuned continually in to Channel 4, which then was the CBS affiliate in Miami.

At the time of John Kennedy's death, I remember recognizing that our president was a man named Kennedy...but I had known nothing more about him.  Nevertheless, in my personal memory this is the earliest ongoing news story about which, as a little kid, I was aware.  Many years later, though, I recalled an event from a year earlier, while I was in the first grade.  As a class, we'd had fire drills before, but one day we were all lined up and exited the classroom and made to walk down the interior hall of the building.  The teacher then had each of us get on our knees next to the wall...and then put our hands over our bowed-down heads.  Having established that we knew the procedure should the real need to do this happened, we were marched back into the classroom...with no explanation ever given.  This certainly was no fire drill.  It was only much later, looking back, that I realized that this must have occurred in October of 1962, in the middle of the Cuban Missile Crisis when a real danger existed of a nuclear attack against the U.S., especially on South Florida.  The tough, but ultimately peaceful way that President Kennedy had managed this crisis is another reason to grieve his untimely passing...