Thursday, October 15, 2015

2016 Presidential Politics After the Democratic Debate

I didn't watch Tuesday night's first Democratic 2016 Presidential debate on CNN since I was at work...although I doubt that I would have sat through the whole thing had I been off.  The main thing is that I consistently vote on election day after arriving at an informed decision concerning candidates and issues...I wonder how many of the reported 15.3 million debate watchers can claim that??!!  I did watch some of the news channel reactions to the debate, though, and it doesn't surprise me at all that the general consensus, regardless of how conservative or liberal the politics of the commentator was, is that Hillary Clinton came away as the clear winner...

The end result of the upcoming election to you and me will be how the winner makes decisions as President.  Although personality and "likableness" may play a part, I suspect that ultimately it will be the new President's philosophy of governance and his or her sense as to what constitutes America's greatest interests...including how its ENTIRE population is treated...not just the wealthiest 1%...

I have seen the Republican candidates get more than their fair share of media exposure...and I can, at least for myself, confidently claim that not one of them has even remotely made any impression on me that they have either my own personal interests in mind or those of anyone in my family, my friends, or associates, for that matter.  The one candidate that I held out hope for, Jeb Bush, has made some comments in recent weeks that show him as only one of many wannabes who want to show how extremist he can be on the political right.  As for polls leader Donald Trump, his appeal seems to be for those who want a supreme ruler (remember Stalin, Mao, Hitler?) whose feet they can grovel at and who they can just give carte blanche approval to do whatever he deems necessary, without any scrutiny.  As for Ben Carson, I am totally blown away by an incredible human being who can do what he has accomplished with his pediatric neurosurgery...and then act totally clueless about almost every other issue...

I'm not a big fan of Hillary Clinton...and I have never been.  I supported Barack Obama early on in his campaign back in 2008, and you can read my blog archives from back then to see my political leanings in favor of our current President.  But she is a vested, proven politician who knows more than almost anyone what it takes to get things done...and she has your interests and mine at heart, regardless whether you're aware of that fact.  Bernie Sanders, although he expresses ideas I agree with, especially in regard to a single-payer national health care system modeled on the Europeans and Canada, does not fully appreciate the benefits that capitalism and trade have brought for us and our standard of living.  I think Hillary does...and she is the only viable candidate out there for whom I can vote as the next President of the United States of America...