Saturday, September 5, 2015

Preseason Football Rankings 'Rank'le Me

The college football season began this week, culminating today in the first full day of games.  Already there are preseason polls out, ranking not only the top 25 teams in the country but even the most likely prospects to win the Heisman Trophy as player of the year.  To me, these polls are ludicrous as the structure of college sports is very different from that of the pros.  Each year, the seniors leave school...as well as those underclassmen entering the NFL draft early...and the various schools have to essentially overhaul their teams.  Plus, the entering freshmen class of players adds another level of uncertainty to each school's outlook for the upcoming season.  Yet Ohio State is Number One without having played a single game...some media folks are making an issue of the "fact" that Alabama has dropped down to Number Three after several years of being ranked preseason as One or Two.  They have to be kidding...

Well, maybe the rankings do have a certain bearing on things as we go through our first weekend of college football.  Those who gamble on the games need to have something to go by as they lay their money down...even if they don't yet know how good or bad the teams are going to be this year.  If I were a betting man (and I'm not...but I'll leave that for a future blog post), I would wait a little bit into the season before I began to wager any serious money.  On the other hand, Vegas puts its own line out for the individual games...no need after all to follow some mythical rankings chart when no games have yet been played...