Monday, September 14, 2015

Piecing Movie Fragments Together

For most of the movies I've seen, I sit down at the beginning and watch them through to the end.  However, there are movies I've experienced piecemeal...I may start off with a clip near the end, then maybe a scene toward the middle or beginning, usually because I encounter them while channel surfing at those particular stages.  After a few "sightings" of such a movie, I'll start to form a picture of it as a whole, with gaps throughout that I haven't yet seen.  Usually a movie like this is one that I feel I would like to watch but for whatever reasons can't seem to find or make the time for it.  In this category, for me, is the latest Star Trek movie: Into Darkness.  I knew there was a real nasty villain in it, played by Benedict Cumberback, with whom Spock had a chase/fight scene.  There was a brutal attack on Federation headquarters early in the film.  Something else about Scotty in a bar somewhere getting drunk with his weird-looking alien buddy when Kirk calls him.  Kirk and McCoy running in hooded robes from a mob of painted aboriginals on a red planet, with a volcano erupting in the background.  A huge black spaceship crashing into the downtown of a large city.  And on and on it went, until...

Until I finally had enough of all the fragments and set out to watch Star Trek: Into Darkness in its entirety.  I checked out my streaming Netflix and, for a change, they actually had the movie I was searching for!  Last night I enjoyed it from start to finish...it was worth it, one of the best Star Trek movies ever made.  The next movie in the series comes out next year.  In the meantime, maybe I should put together some fragments from other movies I've never completely watched...