Wednesday, September 23, 2015
Baseball Great Yogi Berra Passes Away
The great Yogi Berra, who as New York Yankees catcher over the course of his playing career won ten World Series championships and three American League MVP awards, has passed away at age ninety. As a little kid growing up in the early 1960s, I quite naturally assumed that he was named after then-cartoon superstar Yogi Bear. I didn't understand his greatness then, but I did appreciate the baseball card of him I collected from the backs of Post cereal boxes...along with those of other early 1960s baseball players, including his teammates Mickey Mantle and Roger Maris. Later on I came to associate the name "Yogi Berra" with the chocolate drink Yoo-Hoo, which he promoted for a long time on TV commercials. It was only later in life that I came to esteem not only the on-field accomplishments of this iconic sports figure, but also his humanity and humor. And, of course, all of those incredible "Yogi-isms"...many of which I'm hearing on ESPN as they pay homage to his memory: "If you come to a fork in the road, take it", "The game isn't over until it's over" "It's like deja vu all over again", "I really didn't say everything I said", "Baseball is 90 per cent mental. The other half is physical", ....and on and on it went. As his off-beat quotes piled up over the years, there began to be a question as to whether some of them may not have come from him. Oh well, I love hearing them, anyway...