The late Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time fantasy series is very long, fourteen volumes in total. Jordan died after having written the first eleven books, and fantasy writer colleague Brandon Sanderson took up the project of completing the series with the final three books. I just finished reading Towers of Midnight, which means that I now have only one more book to get through before I'm finally finished with this long, drawn-out saga. The main characters of Rand al'Thor, Mat Cauthon, Perrin Aybara, Egwene, and Elayne, to name the most prominent, are all still in there fighting for their cause, "The Light", against the Dark Lord...and the Last Battle looms ahead. Other than the prophecies that seem to paint a picture of peril, if not outright tragedy, for some of the protagonists, I'm keeping mum about what happened in Towers of Midnight...not wanting to give away the story to prospective readers (or to anyone currently involved in reading this series).
The author(s) of The Wheel of Time series had one advantage over another fantasy series author, George R.R. Martin of A Song of Ice and Fire renown. His HBO series adaptation, Game of Thrones, has diverged from his books, which creates a bit of an issue in that he has still at least a couple more books of the series in the works. Will Martin change the books to fit the TV series? That would be lamentable if he did. At the very least, I believe that his involvement in Game of Thrones on HBO has to be distracting him terribly from getting on with his writing of the next book, which I am impatient to get started reading. At least Jordan and Sanderson (and their readers) never had to deal with that when composing The Wheel of Time...