As I continue (happily) plodding through the "alphabet mysteries" of Sue Grafton, featuring Californian private eye Kinsey Millhone, I've just knocked off two more books: "G" is for Gumshoe and "H" is for Homicide. The former is one that I already read (and liked a lot), and the latter is a first-time read (and I liked it even more). As a matter of fact, I was so impressed by "H", that at this point in time I consider it to be my favorite Kinsey Millhone novel.
In "G" is for Gumshoe, Kinsey is hired by a woman to find her elderly mother, while at the same time she discovers that a thug she helped to catch in the past has placed her on his hit list...and others on that list are getting knocked off. She hires a bodyguard, who is another detective...and they develop a more personal relationship in the process. This book has an interesting ending, one in which the two biggest "bad guys" (for entirely different reasons) inadvertently cross paths...
In "H" is for Homicide, Kinsey goes undercover to expose an auto insurance fraud racket that is based in Los Angeles, as well as try to solve the murder of an employee of the insurance company that she is loosely associated with. There is a lot of interaction between several unsavory characters here, and this is a story that takes our detective away from her home town of Santa Teresa. The affliction known as Tourette's Syndrome is examined as the main villain prominently exhibits it. And the curious mixture of family-like intimacy/ informality with the violent cutthroat culture prevalent in gangs and organized crime is also a prominent feature of this tale...
Next up: "I" is for Innocent, a Grafton book that I believe I've already read before...