Thursday, April 16, 2015

Read Robert Jordan's Crossroads of Twilight a While Ago

Usually when I have just finished reading a book, I'll review it (without spoiling the ending) within a week at the latest.  However, I was going over my reviews of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series, a fantasy venture in which the author seemed to have lost his way over the years in the process of writing it.  Crossroads of Twilight is the tenth volume of this fourteen-part series.  Jordan would write one more before dying...and writer Brandon Sanderson (who wrote the excellent Mistborn fantasy series) would finish the final three volumes.  But this last book I read (from March 17 to the 27th) was so inconsequential and left so little an impression on me that I forgot all about it very soon after I finished...and thus never got around to writing a review.  Eventually, since the beginning of the Wheel of Time series, we've been told that main protagonist Rand al'Thor, also known as "The Dragon Reborn", will unite the forces of good behind him and defeat the evil Dark One in a monumentally cataclysmic final showdown battle.  This battle, after ten books, seems to be even further away than it was at the start, and Rand seems to be failing miserably in his quest to bring people together behind him: other than his closest, inner circle of loyalists, they are obsessed with petty bickering and backbiting.  Minor characters abound, and I wonder what ultimate purpose the author had in bringing their subplots to the foreground of the narrative...

Well, I reviewed the story line in Crossroads of Twilight, which as I can see it has one important development...right at the very end.  I'm prepared to embark on Jordan's eleventh and final (for him) book  and then see what Sanderson was able to do to salvage the series.  I could just walk away from it right now, seeing all of the other books I could be reading instead...but I've already invested too much of my time into it.  To the bitter end!