Friday, April 3, 2015

A Little Wary About New Sufjan Stevens Album

Independent/alternative musical artist Sufjan Stevens, who made his first CD back in 1998, has a new one just released, titled Carrie and Lowell.  It is his first album since Carrie, his mother, died in 2012 and is said to be very introspective and stripped of much of the instrumentation has been typical of his music.  I'm probably going to buy it, even though I was disappointed with his previous two albums All Delighted People and The Age of Adz.  My initial interest in this highly talented and creative artist stems from three albums he made from 2003 to 2006: Greetings from Michigan, Illinoise, and The Avalanche.  I consider each of these to be a masterpiece and was amazed to hear the depth of orchestration he used in the songs.  But on the last two albums, Stevens largely replaced standard musical instruments with electronic bells and whistles, and the sound quality suffered badly as a result. I had wanted him to return to the previous albums with their beautiful instrumental virtuosity, but at least I won't be treated to another arcade-like experience...at least I'm hoping I won't...