The past few months have seen me both increase my overall running mileage and participate more in middle-to-long distance races. Here are the races I've run during the last four months (three of the four in Gainesville):
11/27.....10K Turkey Trot...Time 56:56
12/21.....Starlight Half-Marathon (in Palm Coast)...Time 2:03:30
1/31.....Newnan's Lake 15K...Time 1:18:21
2/15.....Five Points Half-Marathon...Time 1:58:48
Now that I have unwittingly set a pattern of one race per month, I now feel compelled to continue it. The obvious choice for March is a 10K Saturday afternoon race to be held on the 14th in Tioga, a small community a few miles west of Gainesville. As for any more half-marathons, I'll have to think about a possible late March or April race that would be held within a reasonable driving perimeter. Let's see...there's a combination marathon, half-marathon, and 5K race March 29 in Ormond Beach and also a combo half-marathon, 12K, and 5K race in Clermont on April 25. Well, I'll have to see how things stand as these dates approach, I suppose...
Looking back on the four races I've done recently, I have to state that they all tended to be rather frustrating efforts, at least at the start of each event. This is because of the problem of "runner congestion", when I repeatedly found myself boxed in due to slow runners around me who also would make no effort to offer any opening for me to get around them. In the last half-marathon, I was nearly halfway through it before the path finally opened up for me! As for how I physically felt during these races, I seemed to hold up well, although I experienced some aches and cramps at various moments...the most serious being the leg cramps near the end of the Five Points race. Perhaps better electrolytes/hydration (i.e. more Gatorade) will alleviate this problem in the future.
After April, the prospects for long-distance races in the northern Florida area disappear with only the 3.1-mile 5K event available from time to time. If I continue running monthly races from May through September, I'll have to stick with this shorter distance...unless I begin to travel to places further north and/or west where the longer races are held that time of year...