Sunday, March 8, 2015

Major League Soccer's Orlando City Plays First Ever Regular Season Game

I just finished watching, on TV (ESPN2) the very first regular-season game for both of Major League Soccer's expansion teams this year, Orlando City and New York City, as they faced off in Orlando's Citrus Bowl to more than 62,000 spectators.  It was an exciting contest with the level of play better than I had expected.  Of course, I was rooting for the Iron Lions, the nickname that Orlando goes by. Their star player is a Brazilian with one of those funny stylized singular names, Kaká, who plays midfield and is whom they consider as their "striker".  Orlando looked dominant in the first half, but couldn't manage a score due to the New York City goalkeeper's several excellent saves.  In the second half, NYC managed a goal to take the lead, and when Aurélian Collin, one of Orlando's defenders,was ejected with a red card and the team was reduced on the field to ten players, it looked dismal for them.  But just past the 90-minute mark, they were awarded a free kick near the goal and Kaká was able to punch it through for the score, with the ball deflecting in transit off a New York defender.  So the game ended as a 1-1 tie.  I was impressed with both the fan support and the team's play, and hope they both continue strong through what promises to be a challenging first season.  I definitely want to get down there and watch a game or two...