I have finally caught up with fantasy writer Daniel Abraham's progress in his presumably five-part series The Dagger and the Coin after just finishing the fourth book, titled The Widow's House. I say "presumably" because series authors' best intentions regarding that "final" book can often unexpectedly change...not to mention the temptation to write prequels or even begin a "new" series based on characters and/or events from the original. Still, I'm looking ahead for the fifth installment, due to be released in August this year, to also be the last. And I also plan to promptly get a copy and read it, because to me this has been one of the best fantasy genre series I've read so far...
Daniel Abraham has left, after The Widow's House, a core of interesting characters who share of web of experiences and relationships and slip in and out of alliances and conflict. The main thread in the story deals with the threat caused to the world (Abraham's imaginary one, that is) by a continually war-mongering "tainted" people...tainted by little spiders in their bloodstream (how utterly gross). The source of this contamination is from an ancient, apparently long-dead dragon named Morade (you see, dragons used to rule this world thousand of years earlier, with humanity serving as their slaves). Morade did this to create a weapon in a war he was involved with against another dragon, named Inys. What happened to Inys is something that I would prefer any prospective readers to find out for themselves, as I am not in the habit of giving away stories. Suffice to say that the series title refers to how history can be influenced by both the dagger (representing armed warfare) and the coin (representing banking and commerce)...and that either aspect can be ignored only at one's peril. Another interesting feature of this series, to me, is the presence of the wild-card character of Geder Palliako, whose ultimate role in the story's final resolution is a profound mystery...I'm thinking that, although he has allied himself with the villains for most of the series, he will play a crucial part at the end contributing to their downfall. Should be interesting to see whether I'm right...