Monday, March 16, 2015
Gainesville City Commission Election Tomorrow: Go Vote!
Tomorrow in Gainesville we'll be experiencing one of those oddball out-of-season March elections in an odd-numbered year, this one for two city commission seats. One is specifically for District 1, which comprises the eastern part of town (I'm in District 2, so I won't be voting in it). The other is a city-wide at-large seat...so anyone who lives in Gainesville and is registered to vote has something to choose...and an opportunity to exercise their civic duty to actively participate in this representative democracy of ours by going to the polls and casting their ballot. Not that I expect more than a trickle of the electorate to do this, though, although I'm sure that many of the overwhelming majority who choose to stay away from their precincts tomorrow won't have any problem complaining about their high utility bills or the often neglected, crumbling streets we have to drive our cars and trucks on...two issues that are at the top of the discussion list for the candidates. I know...democracy isn't perfect and it's often a guessing game as to which candidate will do the best job once he or she is in there. But it is a lot better than authoritarian government by decrees, with those issuing them having no sense of accountability to the people. Why not instead put your apathy and cynicism on hold for just a few minutes sometime tomorrow and vote...once you're finished and safely back outside your precinct's doors you can go back to not caring again...