The Republican-controlled US House of Representatives has passed a Department of Homeland Security authorization and funding bill to keep the crucial department fully funded through the end of the year. However, included in the bill is a repudiation of President Obama's executive action giving partial amnesty to illegal aliens (or "undocumented immigrants", if you want to tip-toe through political correctness land). This bill has now been brought up before the Senate, where Democrats are filibustering it to keep it from being submitted to the floor for debate, amendments, cloture, and a final vote. As was the case tith the recently passed Keystone XL Pipeline bill, it has no chance of being signed into law by the President, and there is no hope of overriding a presidential veto. So I ask myself, regardless of anyone's opinion about the propriety of the Republicans' actions attaching the anti-exucutive action part to the bill, why can't it be brought up to the Senate floor for debate as the Keystone Pipeine bill was? I'm not a Senate insider here, with my own connections and news sources. But I have a sneaking suspicion...
Back in January when the Keystone bill was openly debated, amended, and voted on, Democratic Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid was absent due to an accident that he was being treated for. I his place, Minority Whip Dick Durbin stood in and ran his party...and allowed the bill to pass through the normal legislative process. But the minute that Reid came back, though, presto!...here comes the filibustering...
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has proposed splitting up the Homeland Security reauthorization bill into two parts, one being a "clean" bill that funds the department without reference to Obama's recent immigration executive action, and the other a section on whether that action should be accepted or rejected. That sounds quite reasonable to me, but I have my doubts about even that great concession on the part of the majority Senate leadership being accepted by morose and spiteful Senator Reid, sad to say. Still, there is hope now for this important bill to be passed and the needed funding to continue. The next day or two will tell what happens...
Oh, by the way, after I had posted this article and looked back up on its title "Unnecessary Homeland Security Bill Senate Filibuster", I realized that it could be taken two different ways. No, the Homeland Security bill is necessary, but the filibuster against it isn't...