This morning I went with Melissa to my local gym, which is Gainesville Health and Fitness (the facility at the 4800 block of Newberry Road). It had been a while since I've gone there...all the way back to October 23rd last year, as a matter of fact. But this morning, Melissa was going to one of the water aerobics classes there (the eight o'clock one) and I decided to come along and run on the treadmill while she worked out. I was curious how I would handle running on the treadmill after avoiding it for so many weeks. It was no problem finding one of the more preferable treadmills on the second floor: the University of Florida is still "off" for the holidays (but not for long) and many of the students who usually would be using the gym were still out of town. Anyway, I set the machine at my usual 6.7 mph pace and started it up. To my horror I felt it very difficult to keep up with it and could tell, after running for a little while, that it would be quite a chore to run much longer. Could there be that much difference between the treadmill and running on the ground/road that a few weeks away from it would cause that effect? Then it hit me: the incline setting was at "3"...once I lowered it I suddenly felt as if I were running downhill! The rest of the run went flawlessly while I listened to music on my MP3 player. I did have to stop after 7.5 miles, though...I ran out of time and didn't want to keep Melissa waiting! My running for the day continues, though...so far I've amassed a total of 12 miles, with more to come...
The next race for me will be the Ocala Half-Marathon later this month on Sunday, the 25th. Then in February, depending on how how things go for me and my running in the next few weeks, I'll either do the half-marathon or take a stab at the 26.2 mile marathon in the Five Points races here in Gainesville...