Saturday, November 8, 2014

Yes to Movie and TV Episode Reruns, No to Sports Reruns

I have a tendency to watch my favorite TV shows and movies over and over again, enough though I thoroughly know their outcomes and can often recite the dialogue word-for-word just before it is spoken.  But when it comes to watching sporting events, even those that feature my favorite teams or solo athletes, I dislike reruns and avoid them with a passion.  The only exception to this is if a rerun of a game is rebroadcast and I don't yet know the outcome.  Then it's like I'm watching it live.  Only one problem with that, though, and its a frustratingly recurring one...

I'll be on a channel showing such a rebroadcast, say, for example, of the English Premier League of soccer, with "my" team Arsenal playing in a game from the previous weekend that I haven't yet seen, and I'll sit down to watch it.  Everything will be fine for a few minutes, when suddenly the little scrolling "information" line at the bottom of the screen will start displaying final scores...and the final score of the game I've begun watching will prominently be shown!  I've seen this happen too many times and wonder why they don't just withhold the score of the one game they are showing...they can show still all the other final scores, for all the difference that makes.

Another gripe I have with sports reruns is that there is almost always enough going on that they don't have to keep showing the same game again.  I find this especially annoying when I'm on the Univision Deportes (Spanish language sports) channel and watch a live broadcast of one of Mexico's top-tier Liga MX soccer league games...say, pitting Pumas against Tigres.  I watch the game, enjoy it, and a few days later am ready to watch another soccer match on Univision Deportes...but find that they are showing a rerun of that same Pumas-Tigres contest.  Why not show a different game...it doesn't even have to be from Liga MX.  They could show a lower Mexican league game in that time slot...or even one from some other country's soccer league, for that matter.

It isn't just a "soccer" phenomenon, these sports reruns.  I regularly scan through the upcoming sports broadcasts on the many channels I get and often run across football, baseball, and basketball games that weren't just played recently, but rather months or even years earlier.  I don't get it with these reruns, but then again I imagine some people wouldn't get it about my own absorption with reruns of my favorite movie and TV episodes.  To each his own, I suppose...