Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Voted Today, We'll See How It All Turns Out

After getting off from work this morning at 7:30, I drove over to my local precinct and voted on this Election Day.  The voting room (unlike with recent low-turnout elections) had other voters besides myself, but there still weren't that many.  Maybe now, with the polls open until 7 PM, there are more people casting their ballots.  Anyway, I made my voting choices exactly the way I said I would a few days ago on this blog.  I'm sure that some of my candidates and issues will win and some will lose, but regardless how the results tally up, I feel satisfied that I performed my civic duty and participated in this representative democracy of ours.  After I got home, I was getting pretty sleepy, it being at the end of my "day" as it was, but I thought I might write a short blog article urging people to vote and post it on Facebook.  But when I got on Facebook, I could easily see that there were already several postings from others exhorting people to vote.  So I waited until now...but at this posting there's still time for you to vote if you're registered!

There is a lot of talk on TV about the close US Senate races (in Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Louisiana, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Kansas, and Georgia) being decided today, and how the Republicans might well be on their way to the first Senate majority they have had in eight years.  It should be interesting watching the cable news channels tonight as the results start coming in.  Unfortunately, regardless whether the Democrats or Republicans end up controlling the Senate, we'll probably still be stuck with their old leaders: Harry Reid and Mitch McConnell both need to step down and allow more persuasive and less antagonistic leaders to step up.  But I seriously doubt that they will, seeing how much each one craves power...