Saturday, September 13, 2014

Misery Loves Company: Georgia-South Carolina Game Lightning Delay

I was planning to watch a little of the Georgia-South Carolina college football game today, scheduled to start at 3:30 this afternoon.  But it's now past 4:30 and the game officials just evacuated the field after the players had come back and the fans were sitting in the stands expecting the game to finally begin.  The TV announcer just said that lightning strikes and stormy conditions had caused the delay, but that these conditions were predicted to hang around the Columbia, South Carolina area as late as midnight.  Now I don't feel so bad about that opening Florida game being delayed and finally cancelled for the same reason.  But there's no way that they will let today's crucial Southeastern Conference East Division game be cancelled: they'll reschedule it if the lightning doesn't abate...like they rescheduled 2001's Florida-Tennessee game, which was scheduled on the Saturday following the 9/11 attacks but was postponed until the end of that year.  But I don't think this Bulldogs-Gamecocks contest will suffer either postponement or cancellation: they have several more hours to get the game in than did Florida and their opponent Idaho, which, after all, was an evening game to begin with.

What I find bizarre is that CBS, which is broadcasting the Ga-SC game, is using this delay to replay the Alabama-Auburn game from last year!  You might think that they could at least come up with an alternate game that's actually going on right now.  In any event, when the scheduled game finally gets underway, I'll be pulling for Steve Spurrier and South Carolina to beat them Dawgs...