Saturday, August 16, 2014

Soccer on TV All Day Long

Whew! Today for me was full of soccer action on TV...I ended up watching parts of six different games!  Barclay's English Premier League opens its regular season this weekend and I was able, while at my local gym, to catch the tail end of Manchester United's surprising upset at the hands (or should I say "feet") of Swansea City.  Then there was a match pitting Leicester City against Everton (a 2-2 draw), and Arsenal and Crystal Palace played it close until Arsenal pulled out a win at the end, 2-1.  All of these games were broadcast on NBC Sports (on two different channels).  Then they showed a MLS contest between Real Salt Lake City and Seattle, won by the former, 2-1.  Later in the afternoon I caught, on one of ESPN's more obscure channels, a game within the FIFA World Cup for Women under 20 between North Korea and the USA.  The Koreans played more like a team and were able to come from behind against the often sloppy Americans and win it on a penalty shoot-out.  And here I am now, watching Univision Deportes in a Spanish play-by-play of the Mexican Primera Division match between Monterey and Cruz Azul.  It cracks me up whenever anyone scores a goal, for the announcer always goes, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!"