Tuesday, August 5, 2014
Pro Soccer Matches More Commonplace on TV
It appears that the push is on in the television sports media to fully promote professional soccer in America as a spectator sport. I've seen a lot of matches on TV featuring the North American MLS league, especially with teams like the New York Red Bulls, the Philadelphia Union, Sporting Kansas City, Real Salt Lake, Dynamo Houston, and the Los Angeles Galaxy. The games are quite entertaining, and with each viewing I am becoming more and more familiar with the sport...although I'm still a bit clueless about that offsides rule! I like the fact that the MLS regular season, unlike with the European Leagues, has been going on all summer, even concurrently with the FIFA World Cup tournament. Still, I was also able to get a taste of that European competition as well by means of the Guinness International Champions Cup series that just completed with matches between famous European "football clubs" like Barclay Premier League's Liverpool, Manchester United, and Manchester City along with La Liga's Real Madrid and other teams from Greece, Milan, and elsewhere. But although the games, which were staged in the U.S. (the championship match between Manchester United and Liverpool took place in Miami), were fun to watch and the play seemed excellent, these were actually just pre-season contests for those teams as they prepare for their upcoming regular season in their respective European leagues. I'm looking forward to seeing some regular season matches of theirs this fall, and I'll also be looking for players I saw in the World Cup on different national teams....