Friday, August 8, 2014

My Favorite Songs of 2014 So Far

A while back I had written how I had purchased Beck's newly-released album Morning Phase and had enjoyed several of its tracks, especially four of them: Heart is a Drum, Blue Moon, Blackbird Chain, and Turn Away.  I had also mentioned back then that I considered Blackbird Chain to be my personal favorite song of 2014 so far.  Well, I still like that song a lot, as well as Beck's other contributions on this more subdued but pretty album of his.  But after listening to my two area alternative rock stations (on 100.5 and 102.9) regularly, usually while driving, I've heard a few more current songs that I've taken to.  The Imagine Dragons have their slow-moving, driving hit Radioactive that gets a lot of air play.  I also like Fever by the Black Keys. But easily my favorite of these and the other songs I have heard is the Kongos song Come With Me Now.  There aren't too many rock songs out there that make liberal use of the accordion; the only other one I can recall is Paul Simon's masterpiece Boy in the Bubble from his 1987 Graceland album.  But Come With Me Now sounds like other artists as well, with sections eliciting mental associations for me with Led Zeppelin, Muse, and even Rob Zombie.  Especially Zeppelin with that mid-song guitar section.  I thought that I'd tire of hearing it, but as with other great songs, it just continues to grow on me: Come With Me Now is, at this stage in early August, my favorite song of 2014...