Thursday, July 17, 2014

Very Stormy and Humid Weather Lately

The weather for the past week here in north central Florida has been has a progression of severe storms, constant rain, and intermittent mugginess.  Both the rainfall and lightning strikes have been much stronger lately than I've seen in years...I wonder whether there isn't some defining general weather phenomenon causing this. I do remember that, at the start of the record-breaking 2005 hurricane season, we experienced a lot of wet tropical weather, but what we're experiencing now is much more electrical.  Also, it transcends the typical pattern we see during the summer, when the temperature and storm conditions usually intensify during the day into late afternoon outbursts after generally clear mornings.  But the storm threat is around the clock: the other morning lightning was crashing around me at 5:30 during my "lunch" break at my graveyard shift job.

Besides the possibly of electrocution if I step outside during one of these many lightning storms, the sheer amount of rainfall has so saturated the ground in my yard that parking a car on it, or even pushing a lawn mower over it, causes heavy gash tracks.  But even above and beyond the lightning and rain, I have come to detest the extreme humidity and its unpleasant effects.  The other afternoon I walked around my block with Melissa and it felt like a run.  I'm not exactly happy with arid conditions either, but this is ridiculous! But the frogs around where I live seem to love it, though, if their continual, deafening noise indicates happiness...  

My complaints, however, seem to pale in significance when I turn on the news and they show what's been been going on further north around Pennsylvania and neighboring states...

Well, today it looks like we got a break from the bad weather...I hope it's the beginning of a new pattern...