The 2014 FIFA World Cup of men's soccer has now progressed to the quarterfinal stage, where only eight teams remain to contend for the title. In spite of their goalkeeper's heroic play (Tim Howard, with an incredible 16 saves), the United States lost to Belgium 2-1 and are now out of the running. The teams that remain, however, promise some exciting games to come...
The quarterfinals will run on Friday and Saturday, with the following matches slated:
Friday July 4
--France vs. Germany
--Brazil vs. Colombia
Saturday July 5
--Argentina vs. Belgium
--Netherlands vs. Costa Rica
As for me, now that the U.S. is no longer contending, I have my own favorites to follow: Colombia and Argentina. We'll see how far they go...with their respective opponents Brazil and Belgium up next for them, it may not last the weekend! I do have one prediction, even though I'm not a particularly astute soccer fan: the eventual 2014 champion will come from the Brazil/Colombia and Argentina/Belgium matches...