Sunday, May 4, 2014

Yesterday's Treadmill Run Encouraging

Yesterday evening, for the first time since February 25th this year, I went to my local gym (Gainesville Health & Fitness Center) and ran on the treadmill.  It was part of my project to step up my running and regain the level of endurance I had achieved from back in 2010 to early 2013.  I wasn't sure how well I would do, but I set out running at my usual pace and would just take it one mile at a time.  After covering 3.7 miles, I stepped off...not because I couldn't go further, but rather because I understand the value of recovery and of not overdoing it, especially since I hadn't been on the treadmill in a while.  This was an encouraging run for me, and I plan to use the treadmill more often this spring and summer.  I had been breaking up my runs into smaller distances, but decided that there is a benefit to covering the same distance in a single run.  So with that in mind, I have been consciously going about running longer distances during the last few days. Neither lower back pain, which was bothering me the last couple of months (especially in March) nor foot pain (which temporarily sidelined me from running last spring) were factors in my treadmill run yesterday.  Hopefully, this trend will continue and I can gradually step up the mileage per run, both on the treadmill and on the road.  The payoff for this will be a planned string of half-marathon races for me to run in this coming fall and winter...