Friday, May 2, 2014
Soundgarden: One of the Greatest Rock Bands in Its Heyday
One of the greatest rock acts of all time, in my opinion, is the Seattle-based grunge group Soundgarden. Fronted by gifted vocalist and songwriter Chris Cornell, Soundgarden had three incredible albums in the early-to-mid-1990s: Badmotorfinger, Superunknown, and Down on the Upside. Of these Superunknown is, in my opinion, one of the very superior albums ever produced in this genre. I remember how, after purchasing it in 1995, I would listen to it over and over (and over) again...never tiring of it. A real masterpiece (if you're one who likes very hard driving, intense, irreverent, and raucous music, that is). Well, after the release of Down on the Upside, at the apex of their popularity and name recognition, Soundgarden went on a very frustrating (for themselves) concert tour, after which they broke up for whatever reasons. Cornell then put out his own solo album, which was much softer and subdued than what he did while he was with Soundgarden. It was a pretty piece of work, but I think his followers (including me) were expecting something a little more hard-edged from him, and it didn't do as well as he might have wanted. Later he was able to hook up with remnants of another successful-but-defunct 90s band, Rage Against the Machine, to form Audioslave. That act was more successful for Cornell (although not with me). Now Soundgarden is back together and they even released another album a few years ago...but I never heard anything from it. Maybe I should give it a try... maybe it's the best ever work of theirs, but I doubt it. Rather I suspect that the band members, seeing the cash cow in their old successful brand name, resurrected it in order to resurrect their own flagging careers. But that's O.K. with me...because I still have those other three great albums of theirs, on my MP3 no less. My favorite Soundgarden songs are My Wave, Face Pollution, Mailman, Mind Riot, Somewhere, Fresh Tendrils, Dusty, Boot Camp, and Switch Opens...