Sunday, May 11, 2014

Just Finished Reading Terry's Goodkind's Book Confessor

I have just completed reading the eleven-volume Sword of Truth fantasy series by Terry Goodkind, after finishing the final book, titled Confessor.  I was impressed with how Goodkind was able to tie up all the loose ends and arrive at a satisfying (as well as surprising) resolution to the dire circumstances that were simultaneously taking place on so many levels with Richard, Kahlan, the Imperial Order, the Chimes, the Chainfire spell, the Beast, and so on (I'm sure that you don't have a clue about any of this).  But don't expect me to relate here what happened; you're welcome to trudge through the entire series like I did!  Still, I'll give you one hint about how things end, although it's no secret: the author has begun a new series featuring Sword of Truth protagonists Richard and Kahlan.  I wonder whether I should start on it soon...maybe not, I'm in the middle of another series, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan.  And there are other genres of literature I'm pursuing as well.  Still, its faults notwithstanding, I was generally pleased with Goodkind's efforts in this series and feel that he probably deserves a bit more respect on the Internet sites that rate fantasy fiction than what I'm been seeing him get.  I suspect that one of the reasons for the criticism of his work is that he makes no apologies about strongly making his philosophical beliefs known, chiefly through his main character Richard Raul...beliefs that stress the need for individuals to have economic freedom and to assume complete responsibility for their own lives.  That seems to rattle some with other ideas about how things should be, sad to say...