Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Just Finished Reading Not Cool! by Greg Gutfeld

Well, I just resisted the temptation of titling this article "Greg Gutfeld's Not Cool!", but I had to throw in the line anyway.  Gutfeld is a Fox News Channel commentator, host of his own show Red Eye, and a regular panelist on the late afternoon show The Five.  He is funny, feisty and very opinionated, but doesn't automatically subscribe to the Republican Party's talking points as others on this channel do.  Instead he takes a generally libertarian view of the issues (like being in favor of the legalization of marijuana and gay marriage)  while siding with the general Party leadership on issues like business and bank deregulation, gun rights, national security, and empowering police to fight crime.  But in Not Cool!, his latest book, while a making partisan conservative spin on some things (e.g. he profusely lauds John Bolton, one of Fox's "contributors" who consistently spins Obama's ongoing foreign policy efforts into the ground and then stomps on them), is more about how a certain segment of our society, which he terms as "the hipster elite", continually screws up things by making heroes out of terrorists and other criminals, making crime victims out as being guilty, trashing important life-saving scientific and technological advances like genetic modification of foods, effective insecticides like DDT, and vaccinations, refusing to recognize the Islamic element in so many of today's terrorist attacks and wars,  the propensity to call anyone in disagreement with them as "haters",  the refusal to support the domestic exploration, extraction, and transportation of our own energy natural resources like coal, oil, and natural gas, attacking the traditional American family and glorifying "alternative lifestyles", demonizing our military and national defense efforts and seeing all overseas problems as somehow being America's fault, the irrational embracing of foreign despots (but only if they're on the left politically), the stereotyping and ridicule of the South and its traditions, the elevation in stature of irresponsibility and shallowness in youth culture, jumping on the-pro-gay-bandwagon-and-anyone-who-isn't-on-it-is-retroactively-a-hater, stigmatization of openly conservative entertainers, and using news stories of shootings to attack people's legal rights to own guns.  Whew!, that's a lot of ground for Gutfeld to have covered, and in a relatively short book at that.  Plus, he goes off into other subjects as well (including a section in the end where he recommends a number of musical artists that I've never heard of).

I don't agree with all that Greg Gutfeld has presented here, but we're on the same wavelength on many of the issues.  I salute him for expressing his views, and look forward to seeing him on TV..it's obvious to me that he speaks his mind and isn't just trying to tow some party line or please his employer.  Plus, I like his flowing, conversational writing style, which I also try to use here in this blog...albeit without Gutfeld's sprinkling of profanity.  I recommend Not Cool!, although, if you're one of those "hipster elitists" you may want to ditch it after a couple of pages....