I was stunned today when I woke up (in mid-afternoon after working the late night/early morning shift), eventually checked out my Facebook page, and was bombarded with posting after posting devoted to Game of Thrones creator and author George R.R. Martin...and how he uses a primitive DOS work processor to write his novels. It's not his decision that surprised me. I already know the value of writing "away from the Internet": I'm writing this on an even more primitive AlphaSmart portable word processor! No, the shock was in the flooding over of my Facebook with this essentially unsolicited spam, coming in from sources whose "friendship" I never sought and which never sought me. I stopped counting, after forty, the number of posts about Martin's late-night TV interview...which naturally crowded out the postings I wanted to see of my actual "friends". The only link I see with Martin and myself is that I have written about him and his A Song of Fire and Ice fantasy series on my blog in the past, to which I have posted links on Facebook. So just by dint of that connection, Facebook has snowed me under with this Martin/DOS stuff.
In his recent interview that apparently caused such a stir, Martin revealed that he tired of the auto-correct features of more modern word processors, which tend to second-guess the writer and often make unauthorized revisions to the written material. I agree with him on that: when I copy my AlphaSmart writings to my main computer, either directly to my blog or to a Word application, my text tends to be altered and I have to assiduously observe the copying process to make sure that what I wrote actually gets copied in the form I had intended. Also, this ever-increasing tendency for Internet companies like Facebook, Google, and Twitter to flash what they themselves deem as related links to what I'm posting on them is, to me, an unwarranted interference in my writing as well. If I write an article about Greg Gutfeld (which I did a few days ago) and post a link to it on Facebook, I don't want to see related material others put out about him grouped together with MY article: I don't know what others have written or said about him. For all I know, it could be the opposite of what I am trying to express and could even be slanderous, profane, or obscene in nature. And yet there it is, right next to my posting and associated with me whether I like it or not.
I think that computer applications and social networks make far too many assumptions about my choices and writings. They need to back off and let my work stand on its own, apart from their own "standards" of writing and without the intrusion of extraneous, unwelcome material piled on top of it...