On the ABC evening news show a little while ago, they mentioned that overnight will occur what many think should be a spectacular meteor shower. Unfortunately, they devoted very little time to the story and missed out on important details. Such as when and where. So I looked up on the Earth and Sky website and got the scoop...
This is a relatively new meteor shower, called the Camelopardalis Meteor Shower. Camelopardalis is a faint and obscure northern constellation representing which African animal? You guessed it...of course, it's a giraffe! Anyway, the central (or radiant) point of the shower will be in this nondescript section of the sky...just face due north and try to find Polaris (the North Star). Then go down from it just a little and that's where you should train your eyes for the meteor shower. The optimal time for the most meteors should be from 2 to 4 AM.
I have no idea how spectacular or not it will be, and I won't be able to witness it. Unfortunately, I'll be at work then, making eight hours of unsolicited overtime on my off day in spite of the claims of my organization that this sort of thing isn't going to be happening anymore. But for most of humanity, this interesting-sounding meteor shower will be out there to see (well, that part of the population that lives north of the Equator, that is). If you're in North America, then just look northward a few degrees above the horizon at the indicated time...