Monday, April 28, 2014

Premature Summertime Weather Here

Well, it's starting to look as if the typically long Floridian summer has begun.  No, I know summer doesn't officially start until late June, but where I live here in Gainesville, temperatures are skyrocketing.  It's in the low 90s right now; last night around ten, when I left to go to work, it was a stifling 78 degrees!  I think that's what bothers me the most about the summertime weather here...I can take scorching hot temperatures in the middle of the afternoon, but I can't get any relief in the nighttime. At least the humidity hasn't been too bad so far, but I expect suffocating heaviness in the nighttime air to couple with the heat during the next few weeks.  And don't get me going about how bad the mosquito nuisance can get.  Not a very pleasant place to hang out, the outdoors at night in northern Florida.  I think I may just stay cocooned for as long as possible in a cooled, insulated indoor environment. Hooray for air conditioning!