I initially do most of my blog writing on my AlphaSmart portable word processor. Since I don't need an Internet connection to write, this nifty little machine works well for me. It runs on three AA batteries and lasts for months before I have to change them out...and there is no need to ever plug it into the wall. Anything I type on it is automatically saved into one of the eight files, each of which has a large capacity. I don't need to go through the "saving" process: just turn off the AlphaSmart and whenever I decide to turn it back on, there is my last writing, right where I left off. It also has a good spell check feature that is invaluable to me. The keys and the keyboard are the same size as that on a regular laptop or desktop computer, so no special adjustment is needed here for typing. Of course, whenever I write something for my blog on it (such as this entry), I'll need a means of file transference, which is also provided through a connecting cord. No special software is needed to sync the AlphaSmart with the computer. On top of all this, AlphaSmarts are lightweight, small, and sturdy. I usually just load mine into my backpack along with any books or notebooks I'm using.
This current AlphaSmart I am using I just bought used at a good price off Amazon ($44 including shipping). It's the third one I've had (I got my first one in 2000). I tend to use them a lot...you can see from the pictures of my "new" and "old" AlphaSmarts that I get my money's worth out of them. The last one eventually lost several keys, but it was still functional until I began having difficulty turning it on. So, it was time for a change and I switched to a better (albeit earlier) model that shows what I am writing much more clearly...