I have this habit of usually being in the middle of reading more than one book at a time. Right now, I am splitting my reading between the recent NY Times #1 fiction book The Goldfinch, by Donna Tartt, and Life of Pi by Yann Martel. Melissa already read the latter and highly recommended it to me. At this writing I have only read a few chapters in each book, but I am already immersed in the two authors' divergent worlds, each of them very interesting. In The Goldfinch, I spend some time retracing my paths from my visit to Manhattan four years ago...especially the walk "through" Central Park down 79th Street and the subsequent visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. In Life of Pi, the author treats me to a "captivating" discussion about animals and what truly constitutes being wild as opposed to being in a zoo...as well as attempting an unorthodox blending of zoology with religion. The geographical setting at the start of this novel is personally unfamiliar to me: the city of Pondicherry in southern India. So far I've learned a few new things about history, zoology, comparative religion, and geography. And I have a feeling that there's a lot more "education" to come.
I think I picked a couple of winners to read, and look forward to looking back on them after I'm finished...