I have read and heard people claim that the Super Bowl this past Sunday was one of the worst ever. No doubt the main reason for this harsh judgment was the lopsided score, 43-8, by which Seattle drubbed Denver. Other contributing factors may have been that the expected offensive fireworks of both Peyton Manning and Marshawn Lynch were pretty much squelched by stingy defenses, and Seattle's defense was especially tenacious as they put on an incredible clinic with their effective tackling. Defensive struggles often make for perceived uninteresting games...although I personally don't see it that way. Also, the folks who were pulling for Denver had to be crushed by the fact that, from the first play from scrimmage, their team acted as if they had forgotten how to handle a football. I'm sure many of these fans thought this was one of the worst Super Bowls ever. I also think that viewers were spoiled by the exciting Super Bowl games that were played in the last few years...the last blowout had been after the 2002 season when Tampa Bay drubbed Oakland 48-21. In fact, though, taken as a whole, many past Super Bowls have been typified by one team dominating the other...and fittingly enough, one of the teams "most dominated" has been the Denver Broncos. As for my opinion on the subject, I liked to watch both the play on the field and the well-done halftime show featuring Bruno Mars (with a little help from the Red Hot Chili Peppers)... what I didn't care for about this year's Super Bowl was in another area...
The commercials during the Super Bowl, usually hyped for their imaginativeness and effect, were to me a pathetic, collective bunch of duds, some of which made no sense at all to me. The car commercials in particular seemed to be especially weird and puzzling in a negative way, throwing in all sorts of extraneous nonsense...if you're trying to sell a car, then talk about the car! And the beer commercial where the "unsuspecting" dude ends up playing ping-pong with Arnold Schwarzenegger...you mean they actually PAID some advertising whiz who came up with that one? Really?